We sincerely hope that if you watched the preceding video and see your child you get the care necessary to help your child.
Airway issues can be caused by nasal congestion due to allergies, mouth breathing, snoring and obstructive sleep apnea.
The consequences of airway issues, whether you are a child or an adult can be devastating because how you breathe affects every aspect of your life…physical, mental and emotional. Your quality of life will suffer when you have an airway issue because of the sleep deprivation involved. Common sense tells you if you aren’t getting the proper sleep your brain and body are not renewing themselves enough to be ready for the next day. Now compound lack of proper sleep over months and years and you have a disaster. Furthermore, since your problem occurs at night, you have no idea of what is going on.
Hence, issues with airways often go undiagnosed. Medical professionals believe that sleep issues may actually be the underlying cause in some chronic health problems.
Children will usually exhibit negative effects on their performance in school, during extracurricular activities and in social relationships when they have airway issues. What are some common sleep disorder symptoms in a child? Here is the list:
- behavior problems: hyperactivity, aggression, impulsiveness, conduct issues, sleepiness
- mood problems: anxiety, depression, withdrawal
- accidents and injuries, slow reaction time
- learning challenges, poor memory and concentration
- peer problems
- large tonsils and adenoids, a tongue that is too large for the mouth, allergies, mouth breathing
Symptoms of sleep disorders in adults can include:
- excessive daytime sleepiness
- episodes of no breathing, mouth breathing, loud breathing
- mood swings, depression, irritability
- weight gain
- headache, fatigue
- dry mouth, dry throat
If suspect you or your loved one may have a breathing disorder, find a professional you can trust. At our office, we can send you home with our sleep study device and you can know in less than a week if you or your loved one has an issue. It is a very easy, simple procedure. Don’t wait…your loved one truly needs your help.